We’re very proud & extremely happy to announce that Learned Vices is one of the Executive Producers of the newly released “OBEY THE GIANT” film!!! (Whaaa?!? Yup, we can’t believe it either, but it’s true…still don’t believe us, check the credits. Boom.) We couldn’t be more honored & more exciTED to be a part of our homie Julian Marshall’s latest film…
OBEY THE GIANT, directed by Julian Marshall, is the first narrative film about the early life of Shepard Fairey and the origin of his OBEY GIANT street art campaign.
Based on the true story of Shepard Fairey’s first act of street art, OBEY THE GIANT tells the story of a young skate punk challenging a big-city mayor and the powers-that-be at art school.
Frustrated by his inability to gain respect within the confines of art school Shepard sets out to gain notoriety and acclaim by targeting the most powerful man in Providence, former Mayor Buddy Cianci. Risking expulsion and jail time Shepard plasters Andre the Giant’s face over the image of Cianci on a campaign billboard. As word of Shepard’s prank gets out, Shepard learns that art is a weapon and attention is both a blessing and a curse.
Congrats, Julian!!!! Please enjoy & share…
Happy fackin’ Friday, people of Earth! I’m sure everyone is hella exciTED for the 3-day weekend! Huge thanks to all members of the US Military & their families for your sacrifices, your service & for always keeping us safe…we appreciate & love you all! Well, I hope everyone has a fun & safe holiday weekend. Don’t drink too much or do…I don’t care, just don’t hurt anyone, OK? Awesome! Here’s some things that you maybe missed this week…
- Banksy >>> your favorite artist. Is there anything this man does that isn’t sofa king awesome!?! Long live, Banksy! (JUXTAPOZ)
- Watch live broadcast HD TV w/DVR capabilities on your iPhone anywhere for $12/mo? Hope Aereo expands to Vegas soon. (FASTCO)
- Hey iOS users, have you downloaded your “Free App of the Week” from the App Store? Why not? It’s only $FREE.99! (ENGADGET)
- Help fund a documentary about 9th Wonder’s 1st year at Harvard & get rewarded wonderfully…9th’s one bad man! (KICKSTARTER)
- Afraid of needles? Don’t worry, MIT has developed a new magnetic needle-free injector that’s almost speed of sound fast. (POPSCI)
- If you think you have to be smart to be successful, you’ll be happy to know that HARD WORK pays dividends. Just Do Work! (TED.ED)
- Nike SB’s Taiwan Trip video is pretty awesome, but watchin’ it made me miss Taipei & my family. Can’t wait to go back! (YOUTUBE)
Hope you all had a Happy Holidaze weekend & you got everything that you wanted for X-mas. Did you guys hear about the iPad that saved X-mas? (MSNBC) Crazy! Technology>Criminals…I love living in the future. It’s still hard for me to believe that 2011 is almost over, but I’m hella exciTED for 2012! Learned Vices has some pretty neat things planned for next year, so please stay tuned & while you’re waiting, here’s some things that you maybe missed…
- Curious to know what Mr. Brainwash from Banksy’s Oscar-nominated “Exit Through The Gift Shop” has been up to? His new LA exhibition opened on X-mas. Is this real life? (DAILYDUJOUR)
- If history is one of your favorite subjects & The Hundreds is one of your favorite brands, then you’ll definitely want to read about TH’s humble beginnings. (THEHUNDREDS)
- LATE PASS: Speaking of history, who else knew that Nintendo started out making playing cards for gambling gangsters & owned a “love hotel”? Mind = BLOWN! (KOTAKU)
- Check out some of Tinker Hatfield’s original sketches of the Jordan XI, whose recent Retro re-release caused some riots & shut down a few malls last week. Unreal. (COMPLEX)
- Sometime in the near future, your locked iPhone/iPad will recognize your ugly mug & unlock itself. No “open sesame” needed, just your ugly mug. (ENGADGET)
- Are you too busy for videogames, but want to know what you missed in 2011? Gamma Squad has complied their list of the Best Games of 2011. (GAMMASQUAD)
- What’s the best way to combat modern pirates? With water cannons, sonic weapons & lasers, of course! Jack Sparrow wouldn’t stand a chance! (FASTCOMPANY)