As promised, here are some of the pictures that I took on the last day of the 10th Annual Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational golf tourney (MJCI), which Michael Jordan & Toni Kukoc ended up winning (Great job, guys!), at the exclusive Shadow Creek golf course in North Las Vegas. We paid for the VIP tickets last year, so we had access to a special VIP area & elevated seating with a full bar near the 18th hole. At the bar, there were also a few flat-screen TV’s with various NBA games on (Sorry, I don’t recall which ones), which always looked like they were mere seconds from falling/flying off the poles that they were secured because of very strong winds that day…yup, it was windy last year too! Vegas can be very windy at times, but when it’s 100°+, any breeze is always welcomed. We also had access to the air-conditioned restroom facilities (Cool story, Hansel!), which looked like the bathroom trailers you’d probably see on a movie set. The two things that we didn’t have access to were the M Life VIP area & bar and the actual clubhouse of Shadow Creek, where the REAL VIP’s/celebrities were hanging out, so that was slightly disappointing, but no biggie. We still had fun.
Of course, we arrived at Shadow Creek later than we hoped, as usual, but we got there just in time to watch Michael Jordan (check out his custom Jordan brand golf shoes & golf bag in the pics below…must be nice!) putting on the 1st hole. His partner was Tony Kukoc (Go Bulls!) & they were paired up with Mike Piazza (Go Mets!) & Mario Lemieux, whom would eventually finished 3rd. We followed this foursome for a few holes (seemed like MJ knew the course pretty well by now), then we left to check out the VIP area for the 1st time, got some food & drinks & walked around for a lil’ bit more (Shadow Creek is huge!). After that, we hung out around the 9th hole for a little while…watched Greg Maddux, Anthony Anderson, Michael Pena, Danny Masterson, Brian Baumgartner, Kenny Lofton, Penny Hardaway & Brandi Chastain tee off…walked some more, then went back to the VIP area & hung around the last 4 holes for rest of the day. All in all, it was a very fun day & all for several great causes/charities, which is why we went again this year & will continue to go, at least for a day, as long as the MJCI is at Shadow Creek. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone, especially if you have kids (2 kids admitted FREE per paid adult). I didn’t get any autographs last year, but I took a ton of pictures with my wife’s camera & here are some of my favorites, including a few pretty funny ones. Enjoy…
Last Saturday, my wife & I went to the exclusive Shadow Creek (a.k.a. Steve Wynn’s old residence & golf course) for the 3rd day of the 11th annual Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational golf tourney (MJCI), which is an awesome event to raise money for several local & national charities. We went last year on the last day & had a lot of fun (I’ll probably post pics from last year’s MJCI next week), so we had to go again this year, plus Shadow Creek is amazing & you shouldn’t pass up a chance to hang out on the grounds for a day (these pictures don’t do this place justice…it’s unreal!), especially when it’s for charity. Unfortunately, because of the 40mph winds that day (the cool thing about Shadow Creek is that because of all the trees & elevation changes, we barely noticed a breeze), they started about 90 minutes sooner than scheduled, which we found out after we got there at 10am (1st group started at 7:30am). So after we grabbed a quick bite to eat, we decided to start at the 18th hole & work our way backwards.
We caught up with the 1st group, which included Ozzie Smith, Bruce Smith & Toni Kukoc, at the 15th Hole & hung around the last 4 holes as the rest of the groups played their way through the end of the course. While I was taking all these cool pics, some better than others, as seen below, I also was able to get a few autographs (Bruce Smith, Penny Hardaway, Ken Griffey Jr., Greg Maddux, Marcus Allen & Wayne Gretzky!), which I didn’t even try to do last year, but everyone seemed very nice, so I figured why not? Needless to say, I felt like a kid at Disneyland…it was so much fun! Of course, Jordan wasn’t signing anything until the end & you basically had to have a VIP ticket to get into the area where he’s signing stuff, so maybe I’ll get his auto next year. If I wanted to, I guess I could have bought MJ’s autograph in the Pro Shop tent, because they had various Nike/Jordan brand memorabilia for sale, but they were all a lil’ too rich for my blood. Oh well. Regardless, it was pretty cool to see Mike wearing a golf-version of the Air Jordan 2012’s while cruisin’ in his UNC blue personalized golf cart with his girl ridin’ shotgun & in the back, his golf bag covered with Air Jordans, all while bumpin’ what sounded like R. Kelly’s Love Letters LP from 2010…YESSSS (Marv Albert voice)!!! Sofa king awesome. Can’t wait for next year. Thanks, Mike!
Hope you all had a great weekend! I know I did. On Friday, I was lucky to eat a piece of one of the coolest cakes that I’ve ever seen in my entire life(!) at my homeboy’s (Lee) 30th b-day party. (My dad would have LOVED it! He’d read all the Harry Potter books, saw almost all the movies & was a huge fan. Miss ya, Dad!) Not only did it look amazing, it tasted as good as it looked! Mucho props, Katie & Happy Birthday, Lee!!! On Sat. morning, my wife & I went to Shadow Creek golf course for the 3rd day of the 11th annual Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational golf tournament (MJCI), which was a lot of fun as well (pics coming soon). Until then, here’s some things that you maybe missed last week (Sidebar: Go Jayhawks & Cheyenne HS grad, Elijah Johnson!!!)…
- Holy crap! So the 1st ever 1080 (3 – 360º Spins) on a skateboard was finally landed by a 12 year old! Damn, I feel so old. (REDBULL)
- Thanks to Apple, working conditions at China’s Foxconn high-tech factories will start to get better soon. Capitalism FTW! (FASTCO)
- A lucky VA man received a full face & jaw transplant 15 years after a gun accident left him without a nose, lips or teeth! (MSNBC)
- Check out the Too Short & E-40 Money On the Floor music video that one of my homies & new hero, Adam Z., camera Op’d for. (VEVO)
- Spike Lee paid an “undisclosed amount” to the elderly couple who’s addy he tweeted, instead of George Zimmerman’s. Good form, Spike! (EW)
- A legally blind man used Google’s self-driving car to run a few errands around his town. The future is gonna be so awesome! (POPSCI)
- So LINSANITY’s on hiatus ’til next year, but did the Knicks really delay the announcement to sell a few more tickets? C.R.E.A.M!!! (NYDAILY)
Is this week finally over? YESSIR!!! Can’t wait to see UNLV avenge their lost to Wyoming from earlier this season. I can’t figure out why we can’t win on the road, especially after leading by double-digits at halftime…WTF? We gave some of these teams their 1st win over a Top-20 team in decades (You’re welcome!). SMH. If the Rebs could only play all their games at the T&M, we’d be undefeated this year. Ha! Oh well, as long as we’re still playing games in the end of March, that’s all that matters. Hope you all have a great weekend. Here’s some things that you maybe missed this week…
- Air Jordan & Nike designer/architect Tinker Hatfield’s been using his iPad to sketch-up shoes like Federer’s Vapor 9’s in less than an hour! So awesome! (NICEKICKS)
- If you’re like me, then when you were a kid, all you wanted to do was “Be Like Mike”. Well, for $29M you can “Live Like Mike” & buy his house in Chi City. (BLOOMBERG)
- Disappointed with the NBA Dunk Contest this year? Well, the D-League & Sprite Showdown Dunk Contests were a lot more fun to watch…WHOA! (BALLISLIFE)
- Richard Branson & Virgin don’t only wanted to take you to SPACE a.k.a. The Final Frontier, they want to take you to the bottom of the OCEAN as well. Down? (IEEE)
- After reading Fredrick Douglas’ autobiography, an 8th grader wrote an essay with some interesting analogies of our school system & slavery. It didn’t go over very well. (GOOD)
- Imagine walking over to your neighborhood “food forest” to grab a something to eat. Well, if you lived in Seattle’s Beacon Hill neighborhood, you’d be able to do that soon. (BFF)
- What if when you died, you could upload your “consciousness” to robot body, so you could live forever? A Russian visionary wants to turn everyone into Robocop’s! (POPSCI)