Hope to see some of your beautiful smiling faces this Sat. (1/18) 3pm-8pm at the Cloud Citi “Grand Opening” party, because we’ll be there selling your favorite Learned Vices products, including our very rare & extremely limited black “1st Rounders” beanies that glow in the dark!!! (PSA: Once they’re all gone, they’ll be gone forever. Unfortunately, no more will be made.) Have a great rest of the week & a great weekend, everyone!!!
Tag Archives: VEGAS
Hope to see you all at Distrct (1775 E. Tropicana Blvd, LV, NV 89121) tonight for ThisJustin’s “Winter Break 2013” event. We’ll be there selling your favorite LV hats & tees, so come out & pick up some Xmas gifts for your loved ones at special event prices…it should be a fun time for all. Good luck to all the competitors & have a dope day, everyone!!!
WHOA…what month is it? Just Kidding. No update on 4/20, because I took a break for a week or so…hope everyone had a smokin’ fun & GREEN (Earth Day, duh!) time last weekend. I’m so happy it’s Friday & I’m so happy for the future…it’s going to be so much fun. Not the band named fun., just FUN, but they’re awesome too by the way, I loved The Format & love fun. as well (the band this time). Haha! Anyway, hope everyone has a FUN weekend (NBA Playoffs!) & here’s some things that you maybe missed over the last 2 weeks…
- Julian Marshall needs your help to finish his AWESOME short narrative film, Obey The Giant, about the origins of Obey & Shepard Fairey. Hella exciTED!(KICKSTARTER)
- Fired from Celebrity Apprentice? So what! Penn Jillette (Penn & Teller) was still able to help Opportunity Village with a $250K donation. Sweet! (LVSUN)
- Have you met Iceberg, maybe the world’s only all-white (albino) killer whale, yet? “Hey Iceberg, nice to meet you. Say hi to your mutha for me!” (NATGEO)
- Zappos’ 38 y.o. CEO, Tony Hsieh, has a ton of cool plans for Downtown LV & he’s using some of his own cash to make them a reality. Thanks, man! (TIME)
- A Havard paper says that legalizing marijuana could save the US gov’t about $14 BILLION/year! <;300 economists concur. Just do it already! (HUFFPO)
- Peeps at CinemaCon in LV said Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit (shot at 48 frames/sec, instead of normal 24FPS) looks weird & “like TV”. Shitty. (THR)
- MTV is holding a casting call for season #28 of Real World tomorrow at O’Aces Bar. You must appear between the ages of 20-24. HAHA!!! (LVWEEKLY)
As promised, here are some of the pictures that I took on the last day of the 10th Annual Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational golf tourney (MJCI), which Michael Jordan & Toni Kukoc ended up winning (Great job, guys!), at the exclusive Shadow Creek golf course in North Las Vegas. We paid for the VIP tickets last year, so we had access to a special VIP area & elevated seating with a full bar near the 18th hole. At the bar, there were also a few flat-screen TV’s with various NBA games on (Sorry, I don’t recall which ones), which always looked like they were mere seconds from falling/flying off the poles that they were secured because of very strong winds that day…yup, it was windy last year too! Vegas can be very windy at times, but when it’s 100°+, any breeze is always welcomed. We also had access to the air-conditioned restroom facilities (Cool story, Hansel!), which looked like the bathroom trailers you’d probably see on a movie set. The two things that we didn’t have access to were the M Life VIP area & bar and the actual clubhouse of Shadow Creek, where the REAL VIP’s/celebrities were hanging out, so that was slightly disappointing, but no biggie. We still had fun.
Of course, we arrived at Shadow Creek later than we hoped, as usual, but we got there just in time to watch Michael Jordan (check out his custom Jordan brand golf shoes & golf bag in the pics below…must be nice!) putting on the 1st hole. His partner was Tony Kukoc (Go Bulls!) & they were paired up with Mike Piazza (Go Mets!) & Mario Lemieux, whom would eventually finished 3rd. We followed this foursome for a few holes (seemed like MJ knew the course pretty well by now), then we left to check out the VIP area for the 1st time, got some food & drinks & walked around for a lil’ bit more (Shadow Creek is huge!). After that, we hung out around the 9th hole for a little while…watched Greg Maddux, Anthony Anderson, Michael Pena, Danny Masterson, Brian Baumgartner, Kenny Lofton, Penny Hardaway & Brandi Chastain tee off…walked some more, then went back to the VIP area & hung around the last 4 holes for rest of the day. All in all, it was a very fun day & all for several great causes/charities, which is why we went again this year & will continue to go, at least for a day, as long as the MJCI is at Shadow Creek. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone, especially if you have kids (2 kids admitted FREE per paid adult). I didn’t get any autographs last year, but I took a ton of pictures with my wife’s camera & here are some of my favorites, including a few pretty funny ones. Enjoy…
Last Sunday, My wife & I went to Town Square on S. LV BLVD for the 7th annual Cadillac Through The Years car show, which was sponsored by Findlay Cadillac and The Las Vegas Cadillac & LaSalle Club. There were over 60 ‘Lacs from 1911 models (as seen above, I think that one was the oldest) all the way up to the new 2012 models. It was really cool to see the really old ‘Lacs, see how much the Cadillac brand has changed over a 100 years (including how cheap a new ‘Lac was back in the 50’s. Man, inflation is a bee-otch!) & also to see how much some of these owners really loved their ‘Lacs. But then again, what’s not to love about them? Nothing that I can see. We’ll probably go again next year, it was fun & the best part…FREE. Please enjoy these other pictures that I took at the car show…
Hope you all had a great time last weekend. St. Patrick’s Day on The Strip was crazy, almost too crazy. The weather sucked (it rained), but my friends & I had fun, as always. Speaking of fun, thank god it’s FRIDAY! And speaking of Friday, I’m talking about Friday (the movie) & Ice Cube, if you’re going to the movies anytime soon, go see “21 Jump Street” A.S.A.P. (Cube’s in it), it is sofa king hilarious! And after that, if you haven’t already, go to Taco Bell & try a Doritos Locos Taco…sooo good! You can thank me later. By the way, I read somewhere that the “Cool Ranch” version might be coming later this year. Yum! (See what I did there?) Welp, have another great weekend & here’s some things that you maybe missed…
- Damn, I didn’t know Canada had plastic money already. Gotta kick us when we’re down, eh? Hey, US Treasury, where’s ours? (TECHNOLOGYREVIEW)
- Aziz Ansari is going the Louie C.K. route & offering his new stand-up special for $5 on his website. Aziz is very smart as well. (AZIZISBORED)
- Omar from HBO’s The Wire is going to play O.D.B. in a new bio-pic about Big Baby Jesus & his young inexperienced manager, Dirty White Boy. (EW)
- LATE PASS: NASA’s compiled 40 years of Las Vegas’ satellite photos & now you can watch Vegas grow 40 YEARS in 40 SECS. Crazy! (LVRJ)
- Have you ever dreamed of taking a class at STANFORD Univ.? Well, thanks to the magic of the internet & a couple geniuses, anyone can. (WIRED)
- “Iron” Mike Tyson will be performing a one man show at the MGM Grand Resort from 4/13-4/18. Mark your calendars OR ELSE! (LVWEEKLY)
- Don’t forget to watch Odd Future’s new show Loiter Squad this Sun. @ 11:30PM on Adult Swim, brought to you by the Jackass crew. (ADULTSWIM)
Damn! Oh well. Congrats, Colorado & good luck against Baylor. Overall, what a great season for the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels and Coaches Dave Rice & Stacey Augmon! I wish it didn’t end as soon as it did, but I can’t wait for next season (Birch, Jones, Reinhardt & ?????)…it’s gonna be sofa king awesome! Hella exciTED. Hope you all have a great weekend & a Happy St. Patty’s Day! Here’s some things that you maybe missed this week…
- Hurry up & download High Times Magazine’s “Stoner of the Year” Wiz Khalifa’s FREE new mixtape before it becomes an EP on iTunes. T.G.O.D! (2DOPEBOYZ)
- Public Enemy’s Flavor Flav wants to become the next Col. Sanders & he’s starting in L.V., “Flavor Flav’s House of Flavor” opened yesterday. (FORBES)
- “Down for a round of K.I.S.S. mini-golf?” If you live in L.V., you could actually ask someone that now, because that opened yesterday too! (LVRJ)
- Have you seen the Russian homemade quad-rotor helicopter that lights up & looks just like the Delorean from BTTF??? Great Scott-ski!!! (TECHNABOB)
- With the help of Microsoft’s “Universal Translator” & an hour of setup, you’ll be able to talk to people with 1 of 26 languages in your OWN voice! (POPSCI)
- I’m not a gun fanatic, but Arsenal Firearms’ double barrel .45 pistol is pretty facking SWEET!!! “You talkin’ to me? You talkin’ to ME?!” (GIZMODO)
- Your car’s key might be already storing info about “how fast you drive, hard you accelerate/brake, etc.”, so are you ready for even more data collection? (FASTCOMPANY)
It’s crazy to think that 15 years ago today, Christopher “Notorious B.I.G./Biggie Smalls” Wallace was killed in a drive-by shooting in downtown L.A. after leaving Vibe’s Soul Train Music Award party…damn, it still feels like yesterday, R.I.P. Frank White! Complex Magazine has a pretty interesting article about the tragedy & Tupac’s murder …Scandalous! (COMPLEX) R.I.P. Makaveli! In happier news, unless you’re living under a rock or you don’t follow sports, you’re probably pretty excited about this weekend, it’s finally time for the college basketball conference championships, including the Mountain West Championship game tomorrow…GO REBELS!!! Hope you all have great weekends. Here are some things that you maybe missed this week…
- Rocksmith teamed up with Beats By Dre to produce a limited ed. tee that has probably already sold out at the Beats by Dre store in NYC today. (HIGHSNOBIETY)
- Being a huge Dave Chappelle fan, I’m a little disappointed with myself that I’ve never seen these “Star Search” videos from 1993 before. (UPROXX)
- Motley Crue’s Vince Neil is about to open his “Girls, Girls, Girls” strip club in Vegas soon, like in 2 weeks soon…Rock ‘n Hoes!!! (LVSUN)
- NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE! Have you seen this video of Derek Rabelo, a BLIND SURFER, at Pipeline on Hawaii’s North Shore? SOFA KING AWESOME!!! (MSN)
- Are you a Kurt Cobain & Melvins fan with an extra $135K to spare? Hurry up & buy the “Melvan”, if you want a piece of music history. (ROLLINGSTONE)
- DARPA has reduced the size of their aircraft-destroying lasers from the size of a passenger jet to one that will fit on a flatbed truck. PEW! PEW! (FASTCOMPANY)
- R&B singer/actor Tyrese thought actress Amber Rose Tamblyn’s email was Amber Rose’s (Kanye’s Ex), so Amber pretended to be Amber & Tyrese is pissed! (STREETCARNAGE)
Last Wednesday night, my wife & I went to the Orleans Arena at the Orleans Hotel & Casino to see the Harlem Globetrotters play against the International Elite for the Championship Trophy & the right to tour next year. No offense to the Elite, but no one is going to pay to see them play without the Globetrotters. That’s just some good ol’ fashion vaudeville theatrics for the little ones. So needless to say, the Globetrotters won 84-79, but it was a close game throughout & a lot of fun. We seriously laughed so much. One of the highlights was watching Bishop Gorman HS graduate, Scooter Christensen, who was a member of the 1997 State Basketball Champions & has been a member of the Globetrotters for the last 7 years, play & interact with the crowd. In 2010, he set the world records for spinning a basketball on his head for 7.9 secs & nose for 5.1 secs. (LVSUN) Go Scooter! So if you’ve never seen a Globetrotters game before, do yourself a favor & check one out…they’re AWESOME! Please enjoy a few more pics that I took that night, including a couple of the LV Strip that I took from the outdoor smoking area of the Orleans Arena…
Last Saturday night, my wife, a couple friends of ours & I went to the new “Old Homestead Steakhouse” at Caesar’s Palace. If the name sounds familiar, you might have heard of or seen one of their other locations in NYC (originally opened in 1868) or in Atlantic City. Needless to say, this place is SOFA KING AWESOME! Not too surprised, because they’ve been cooking steaks for almost 150 years! The service was amazing (even though it was packed!) & I still can’t stop thinking about how great the food was. It was all so good & we ate so much, I think I’m still FULL. This is what we had…
We started with the “KITCHEN SINK SALAD”, STEAK WEDGE SALAD, “THICK CUT” BACON (a.k.a. Bacon Steak, not pictured), KOBE TARTARE & KOBE MEATBALL…OMmmmmmmmG! My mouth just started to water while I was typing all that. Definitely order the KOBE MEATBALL, because it’s hands down, the BEST meatball that I’ve ever had in my LIFE! You won’t regret it.
As for the main course, the steaks were DAMN DELICIOUS and the sides were just as tasty! We had the HOMESTEAD MAC & FOUR CHEESE (More please!), GRANDMA’S CREAMED SPINACH (So good, probably like Popeye’s Granny would make it), TATER TOTS WITH FAT BOY SAUCE (sour cream, bacon bits, etc.), POTATO GNOCCHI WITH TRUFFLE BUTTER (Do it, Do it!) & “DUCK FAT” FRIES (Quack!)…if you order any combo of these sides with your meal, you won’t be disappointed. We definitely weren’t.
For dessert, we ordered the CHOCOLATE CAKE, CREME BRULEE (again, best I’ve ever had in my life!), NY CHEESECAKE & A GIANT COOKIE TOPPED WITH ICE CREAM, CANDY PIECES & WHIPPED CREAM (Kinda like BJ’s Pizookie, but on freakin’ STEROIDS! You gotta order one). Even though we were so FULL, there’s always room for dessert, right? & with desserts this good staring you in the face, it would be almost a crime not to eat them, so we did & they were AMAZING…what a great way to cap off a perfect meal! THANKS, OHS!!!!!